Every year we put together this list of Tips for you to roll into SAMF weekend actin’ like a boss pro. So get familiar with the list below and you’re weekend will be as smooth as Lee Burridge’s head.
1) STAY HYDRATED AND KEEP COOL! Early June is always beautiful in Chicago, but it can also be extremely HOT, and staying hydrated via our massive, free 60-spout Water World is a must. Remember, empty Camelbaks and similar hydration packs ARE allowed, so come equipped! If the temperature reaches the 90s, we’ll have cooling buses on site and will be turning on the Spray Mist Station located on the basketball courts so be sure to take advantage of those options. It’s a long weekend, take time to rest and hydrate!
2) DON’T GET SCAMMED & GET YOUR TICKETS EARLY! Watch out for FAKE / COUNTERFEIT TICKETS AND CREDENTIALS. As of this post, there are no more Verve (Brand Ambassador) tickets on sale. If you still need to purchase tickets, you should only do so from SeeTickets.Us. There are NO All Access, Artist, Press, Media or Backstage credentials for sale whatsoever. For those who still need to pick up their wristbands, the box office will be open starting Tuesday. Check out the hours HERE.
3) NEW BAG POLICY! PAY ATTENTION TO PROHIBITED / ALLOWED ITEMS. We politely ask that you limit the number of items you bring with you, as all attendees will be searched upon entry. More items means longer security lines. We have also updated our security regulations for 2018, particularly concerning backpacks (single pockets, nothing greater than 12” x 12” in size, standard camelbaks are OK) and water bottles (one single-serving bottle, factory sealed, per person is allowed). See the full list HERE and feel free to email email@example.com with any questions. We’ll have “No Bags” Express Lanes, so a pro-move is consolidating your items into one bag per group for faster entry. We also have Lockers for Rent with cell charging for items you don’t want to carry.
5) UPGRADE TO VIP! You will be able to upgrade to VIP inside the fest at the Info Booth! Elevated viewing areas, express entry, complimentary cell charging, and private bars (21+ to drink) await.
6) OFFICIAL MERCH WILL SELL OUT! The Official Merch is sick this year! We have branded hoodies, tanks, caps, bandanas, crop tops, classic tees, ear plugs and collaborations with Grassroots, Electric Family, and more! Also new this year: Participate in the ultimate merch experience and customize your one of a kind SAMF shirt! There is one central location for all 2018 merch, located in the middle of the fest grounds. Whichever items do not sell out will be found at our Online Store.
7) GET HERE EASILY & BE GOOD NEIGHBORS! Check out the GETTING HERE page on our website for all the ways you can get to the beautiful Addams/Medill Park. Parking is extremely limited, so we strongly recommend alternate transportation such as UBER or LYFT, taking the CTA BLUE LINE to the Racine stop, riding a bike, or utilizing our SHUTTLE system. Also, it is important to be mindful of the impact our traffic has on the local environment and neighborhood. Please pick up your trash, use recycling bins around the festival, and respect the residential neighborhoods that surround the festival grounds by not littering and observing appropriate noise levels when you travel to and from Spring Awakening.
8) AFTERPARTIES! The festival ends each night at 10 PM, but the music and party keeps going! Check out the list of official afters and find the right one for you. Some go to 4AM or later at Chicago’s premier clubs and venues. A lot are already sold out, so grab tickets while you still can. There are both 18+ AND 21+ events.
9) KEEP TRACK OF YOUR TECH! Turn on your Find My Phone app for Android or iPhone during the fest and stay vigilant about protecting your phones! We get a lot of phones into Lost and Found at the end of the festival. Technology rules!
10) BE SAFE & MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR TIME! This year, SAMF has teamed up with a variety of partners to make for a safer, better festival experience for everyone, including Our Music, My Body and DownBeats, who will have a limited supply of SAMF branded high-fidelity ear plugs at the merch booth. Additionally, our Safety Team will be walking the grounds with water and anything else you may need. The Safety Team is here to help and will have a direct line to medical and safety staff. Please do not hesitate to approach them with any concerns or questions. You will not get in trouble for raising concerns over someone’s safety. Remember, it’s a marathon, not a sprint, so have fun responsibly and look out for one another. Wear hearing protection, apply sunscreen frequently, take breaks in the shade, drink water, eat food and be safe!
Lastly, we say it every year, but it’s true every year, and we mean it: this is the biggest Spring Awakening yet and we can’t wait for you to take it all in. From the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU! Please show your SAMF fam some love by making the most out of this weekend and taking care of one another along the way. It’s during these times we make the memories of our lives and we can only keep doing this with your help and support.